1.1 Expand Commercial Space Activities
Why is space commerce important?
Space technologies have advanced America's communications, navigation, and weather forecasting abilities and have unlocked a new frontier for entrepreneurship, innovation, and development. Given the significance of space activities, the United States has prioritized the expansion of space programs. By making space more accessible to commercial activity, America will continue to advance scientific knowledge and technology.
- With the mass production of satellites, the cost of wireless data will decline significantly. Some analysts project that the per-megabyte cost of wireless data will decline to less than 1% of today's levels by 2040.
- By supporting American companies operating in space, the United States will remain the premier destination for commercial space activities, a global leader in technological developments, scientific discovery, and humanity's advancement.
- With additional expansion of commercial space activities, the United States will pave the way for increased civilian involvement in space through space tourism, additional jobs in the space industry, and increased understanding of the world around them.
Strategic 1.1 Objective Progress Update
- Established a continuous presence at the Defense Department's Combined Space Operations Center in California
- Developed a roadmap for the DOC role transition
- Accessed a cloud-based data management platform to demonstrate SSA data dissemination/fusion concepts
- Promoted international norms for space safety
- Engaged industry in continuous dialogue about these efforts
Wilbur Ross, the U.S. Secretary of Commerce, leads a discussion between commercial space industry leaders
Expansion of the Office of Space Commerce
- Space Policy Directive 1 Reinvigorating America's Human Space Exploration Program
- Space Policy Directive 2 Streamlining Regulations on Commercial Use of Space
- Space Policy Directive 3 National Space Traffic Management Policy
- Space Policy Directive 4 Establishment of the United States Space Force